Education and Early Care
Education and Early Care Task Force brings together parents, teachers, and community leaders to work for increased childcare, school readiness, and improved education for Bridgeport children.
Co-chairs are parent leaders Marta Calderon and Diane Brassell.
2012-2013 Action Agenda
• Principal and teacher accountability
- Bridgeport has been chosen as one of the pilot sites to test the statewide teacher and principal evaluation system; Task Force will monitor progress and assess evaluation system based on BCAC’s report
• Teacher Turnover, Recruitment, Support and Retention
- Research teacher vacancy rate in Bridgeport schools as of September 2012
- Depending on results, meet with district staff to determine plan to fill vacancies with certified teachers
- Monitor recruitment and placement of teachers and measure against BCAC’s report on teacher recruitment and retention
• School Suspensions
- Research trends in out-of-school and in-school suspensions in Bridgeport schools for 2009-10; 2010-11; and 2011-12
- Produce Fact Sheet/report with findings
• Legislative Advocacy
- Advocate for education and early care resources, including changes to Education Cost Sharing (ECS) formula
• Research impact of five-year plan on special education services, with a particular focus on out-of-district placements, training, especially for paraprofessionals, and transportation
• Research use of volunteers, interns and graduate students in district schools, including: policies and protocols, including confidentiality, grounds for termination, etc.; screening procedures; supervision and oversight; placements and functions; and training
Factors to take into account as we do our work
- How will the district be measuring the success/outcomes of their initiatives?
- Are the changes the district implements sustainable beyond the current administration?
- What is the unique role that BCAC can play?